The first Earth Day was dreamed up as a massive teach-in in 1969.
By the time it was held in 1970, it had grown to engage and motivate over 20 million people across the United States to take to the streets in support of environmental protection. That Earth Day is still the single largest protest in our nation’s history.
It seemed clearer in 1970, when the shock of discoveries like the harm of pollution and the threat to the bald eagle was still fresh and the Cuyahoga River was on fire, that our environment is bigger than party and politics.
This Earth Day, instead of dreaming of “planet B” or just planning for resilience in the face of environmental change, let’s dream of restoring habitat, celebrating pollinators, replanting forests, and eliminating pollution!
In 1990, Earth Day went global. Imagine the impact, if every person on the planet celebrating Earth Day 2022 took even one positive action to mitigate climate change and restore our shared environment. No one person can solve global problems alone, but they can participate in change, and more people must do just that for global problems to be addressed. Let’s remember that sense of shared urgency and agency from the first Earth Day, and act!
10 Things You Can Do This Earth Day, and Every Day
- Plant a tree– an oldy but goody! Even better, plant a tree that will provide food for wildlife and/or for you!
- Eat lower on the food chain– eat local, clean food, and celebrate what’s in season!
- Have regular maintenance performed on your HVAC system and refrigerators to prevent or repair refrigerant leaks.
- Use Water Sense certified plumbing fixtures, and practices
- Use Energy Star certified appliances, and energy saving practices
- Reduce the environmental impact of your home
- Reduce the impact of your commute with a lower emitting vehicle, or take transit, carpool, bike, or walk instead!
- Use energy and water saving laundry practices
- Switch to green cleaning practices for healthier indoor air and a cleaner environment
- Learn more about the drivers of climate change and take action!